Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Recent reads

Bellwether -- Connie Willis

Explains it all: stupid management theories, faddish hairstyles, incompetent mail clerks, hula hoops and tongue piercing. Not to mention chaos theory and, above all, the importance of being a little greedier, a little pushier, and slightly less stupid than the average sheep. Funny and thought-provoking and highly recommended. I'm still internally debating whether to use this book's revelations as a practical guide to office politics.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Fiend @ 11:17AM | 2005-02-03| permalink

Darnit! You've mentioned that novel so many times the last couple of weeks that you've forced me to request it from the local PL, even though I read it a few years ago. And it'll just join the growing pile of library books whose life cycle currently consists of: placed on hold by me; checked out; left to gather dust in my living room; renewed over the next 2-3 months until I run out of renewals; and returned untouched on the final due date.

Connie Willis deserves better treatment than that!

email | website

Felix @ 4:15PM | 2005-02-04| permalink

Your comment is a bit reminiscent of Groucho Marx's comment about clubs he wouldn't join!

I may be exaggerating its wonderfulness just because it's one of the only books I've had time to read at all in the past month. Still, it was enjoyable. I just hope I haven't given away too much of the plot. Connie Willis DOES deserve better treatment than that.