Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Will they or won't they?

The clock continues to tick down on the contract negotiations between Huron State and the faculty union. (More here and here).

It doesn't directly affect Yours Truly, since I'm "represented", if that's the word, by a different union which shows little ability or inclination to negotiate aggressively. But if the *real* faculty (i.e., the ones with year-to-year job security and salaries large enough to live on) go on strike, I'll probably be expected to cross the picket lines and fill their slots in the schedule.

I suspect that, indirectly, I will lose, whoever wins. Any gains the "real faculty" union makes, the university administration will probably turn around and take right out of my hide, since I'm not in a position to fight back. The administration, meanwhile seeks to further its long-term strategy of eliminating professional, long-term faculty jobs in favor of cheap, disposable temporary lecturer slots. (See this PowerPoint presentation.) That way they can afford more grandiose, palatial mansions and double-digit raises and bonuses for administrators.

Meanwhile, the students,... ah, but who gives a cr*p about them?

1 comment:

Felix said...

limes @ 7:57PM | 2004-08-31| permalink

Are you kidding me? You're obscuring the word "crap"?

You've either been living in a bomb shelter since the 1960's and have just lately been released. Or you're playing at being a Puritan. Inquiring minds want to know.

email | website

Pablo @ 11:03PM | 2004-09-01| permalink

I've been doing stuff like that at work, too. We have a Bayesian spam filter, so it learns all the dirty words from p*rn junk mail. (There I go again.)

email | website