Saturday, November 29, 2003

Lift that bit! Tote that byte!

This story from CNN amused me. I admit that I gave a second glance to the words "master" and "slave" the first time I saw them applied to computer equipment a number of years ago, but that's all. As usual, Californians aren't content with that:

Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.... "Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

Perhaps they'll decide to call them "dominant" and "submissive". No way that could be misinterpreted, right?

1 comment:

Felix said...

Anon @ 12:52PM | 2003-11-30| permalink

I thought this must be a joke, so I consulted Snopes. Sure enough, it's for real! Here's the Snopes link if anyone's interested:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp

email | website

Felix @ 9:46PM | 2003-11-30| permalink

Thanks for Snopesing it for me. I sloppily relied on one source only. Fortunately it didn't come back to bite me this time.

email | website