Saturday, November 01, 2003

A trip down memory lane : M.U.L.E.

Yesterday, while pondering on things geekish, I found myself absentmindedly humming the theme from a computer game I haven't played for ten or fifteen years: M.U.L.E.

Ah, the memories: the blocky Commodore-64 graphics.... the skanky carpet and sofa of a friend's family's game room.... the salty snacks and gallons of whatever sugary, caffienated carbonated liquid happened to be on sale from Skaggs Alpha-Beta or Brookshires... the bleary-eyed buzz of stumbling outside and navigating home in the eerie quiet of 3 a.m. in suburbia, or the pale light of impending dawn....

Taking this as the sign from the gods that it clearly was, I did a bit of websearching and found that I am not the only one to fondly remember this long-unavailable game. Earlier this year, Salon published an article about the game's creator, Dan/Dani Burten, which is as much an indictment of the electronic gaming industry as it is the story of one person's tragedy. A planned re-release of the game in the 1990's was apparently dropped when Burten refused to accede to the boardroom boys' demands for "guns and bombs", an incredibly clueless demand in dealing with a game whose unique and defining characteristic was its simple but very nearly pure theoretical model of classical economic competition. It's not as if there's any shortage of guns and bombs in the putrid swamp of indistinguishable, interchangable first-person-shooter games that have flooded the market. (Considering that Burten was at that time undergoing a sex-change operation, the demand for "guns and bombs" was also a particularly unfortunate double-entendre.)

As a result, although the game is fondly, even reverently, remembered by gaming geeks, it is effectively lost in the multiple morasses of corporate indifference, superceded computer systems, and vague confusion about who owns the intellectual property rights. There is a website, World of M.U.L.E., with information about the game and various copycats and clones, and a Dani Bunten Berry memorial webpage with information about Burten and his/her best-known creation, but apparently no readily available version of the game which is compatible with contemporary computers. The closest copycat seems to be something called "Space Ho.R.S.E.", which supposedly is downloadable in a free demo version, but the download didn't go so well over my dialup connection.

Oh well, at least I can still enjoy the cheesy but still oddly catchy theme music.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Fiend @ 2:48AM | 2003-11-02| permalink

Did you find that Salon article was a little hard to follow? The writer should have stuck with one pronoun for Burten, or at least used "he" pre-sex change, and "she" post-sex change, instead of switching back and forth (even within the same paragraph).

email | website

Felix @ 11:48AM | 2003-11-02| permalink

The references to "Dan" and "Dani" confused me until I realized a sex-change operation was involved. It seemed to me that the Salon author defaulted to "she" almost all the time, presumably in deference to Bunten's preferences. But I think you tend to be more fastidious about grammatical niceties than I am (at least in casual reading and writing).

email | website

Pablo @ 12:43PM | 2003-11-03| permalink

Just Saturday, I was talking to a friend (not a fiend) about AD&D (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, not Accidental Death and Dismemberment). He asked why I just didn't play it on the computer instead of getting together with other guys.

I answered his question by saying that a game master is always more creative and adaptive than any computer program.

Had I read Felix's blog already and the article he linked to, I might instead have emphasized the personal interaction. A party must work together. (Interparty intrigue has always been very rare in any game I've ever been in. And to my knowlege, it's not common in role-play in general; although exceptions exist.) The game master presents challenges but is not truly the players' opponent.

Now my friend may have had in mind Ever Quest, etc. I've actually stayed away from those for fear that I'd like them too much and become addicted.

email | website