Saturday, November 08, 2003

Thoughts of a Rent-a-Librarian:

I'm blogging tonight from a cheap apartment near a place I'll call "Huron State University", where I've just begun a six-month temporary contract. I can't regard this as an end to the job search, but perhaps it will stop the financial bleeding for a while.

Now if I can only find a REAL job.

On the positive side, the surrounding city has several thousand college students and faculty and a correspondingly large number of theaters, bookstores, and other ways to spend money productively. Unfortunately, this university feels no particular need to pay a decent salary to term employees. That honor, in academia, is apparently reserved for stellar performers like the former president of my former employer. After running it into the ground financially and announcing that, as a result, the university would lay off hundreds of staff and abolish several departments and programs (including the only public radio and television stations within 150 miles), she made a tearful, public pledge to forgo all future salary increases from said employer. True to her word, within two months she jumped ship to a larger university, where she's currently receiving a cool quarter-million a year and free use of a university-supplied house and Lincoln Towncar. (See last paragraph in this story.)

Isn't it nice to see Virtue Rewarded?

That's all for now. I'm off to see whether the local repertory-theater company can do a creditable job with George Bernard Shaw's Candida. Of course, I won't get any staff or faculty discount, since the university's bureaucracy is still claiming that I don't exist because I'm not in the computer network, and therefore can't have a university ID.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Carlos Zamora @ 11:18AM | 2003-11-09| permalink

I'm glad to hear you found something to tide you over. Could you email me with the details?

email | website

Trebor @ 6:58AM | 2003-11-10| permalink

So what qualifies as a "real" job?

~Trebor

email | website

anon @ 11:38AM | 2003-11-10| permalink

work is work is work....

email | website

Felix @ 1:52PM | 2003-11-11| permalink

Yes, but work (is work is work) that lasts longer than six months allows one to make much better use of one's time and money and mental and emotional involvement with the job and the community. Why bother learning about a place that I'm going to leave in six months?

email | website