Saturday, February 21, 2004

The Birth of a Nation!

With pride, joy, and hope, the fledging Dominion of the Human Mind has set forth upon the tortuous course of political and economic development, courtesy of an online nation-simulation game created by Max Berry, author of the recent novel Jennifer Government.

It looks like an entertaining way to spend a few pixels. If any of you, Gentle Readers, wish to create your own virtual nations in the same "region" in which The Dominion of the Human Mind is located, feel free to do so. Contact me for the password. It appears that there are ways in which other players could "invade" the region if it's not password-protected, and I'd like to keep this a safe little sandbox until I figure out more about how the game works.

After creating and naming your "nation", you'll have to fill out a little quiz about the political principles that you expect your nation to follow, and occasionally deal with an "issue". I'm not too sure about the "capitalist paradise" tag that the software attached to my colony, or some of the conclusions it drew about the living conditions. We'll see how things develop.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Trebor @ 5:22PM | 2004-02-21| permalink

OK, so what's the name of your Region? And why can't I find "The Dominion of the Human Mind" when I search for it?

email | website



Felix @ 5:37PM | 2004-02-21| permalink

Search for the name of the country, and leave off "Dominion of". (i.e., search for "The Human Mind"). The region name will appear in the description.

I've taken the password off the blog entry, for reasons which are stated in the current text of the post.

email | website



Fiend @ 1:37AM | 2004-02-22| permalink

A few friends and I tried out NationStates about a year ago, but couldn't sustain an interest in it. At the time, though, their servers were clunky and slow at peak usage hours, and the novelty wore off all too quickly...

email | website



Felix @ 8:39AM | 2004-02-22| permalink

Well, that may happen here. But the idea of having a political tamagotchi-pet seems pretty amusing for the moment. I'll probably be meddling -- er, directing its affairs only during off-peak hours anyway.

Are any of your "nation-states" still out there? Any good stories to tell?

email | website



Sampler @ 2:30PM | 2004-02-22| permalink

Consider your blog sampled by me.
-George

email | website



Fiend @ 10:20PM | 2004-02-22| permalink

They probably delete inactive nations/regions (I'd check if I could remember a single name!).

As for anecdotes, the most exciting thing that happened (from my perspective at least) was successfully cajoling everyone to vote me in as UN delegate for the region. Things pretty much went downhill from there.

email | website