Tuesday, February 24, 2004

A book the ALA needs to read

Not Seeing Red: American Librarianship and the Soviet Union, 1917-1960, by Stephen Karetzky. From the Claremont Review of Books 's commentary :

Stephen Karetzky, Library Director at New Jersey's Felician College, has produced a compelling indictment of prominent American librarian's affection for the Soviet Union from the time of the Russian Revolution through the 1950's. "In thought and deed," Karetzky writes in the introduction, "they betrayed the fundamental values, goals, and interests of their profession and their country." He weaves together institutional and intellectual history to place these attitudes in the context of similarones held by many leading American educators and cultural figures during these years -- including their willful ignorance of conditions in the USSR, despite numerous reliable accounts of those conditions that were published as early as the 1920s.

One of the more interesting aspects of this book, in fact, is its description of the transformation of pre-Revolutionary Russia's libraries to a centralized, totalitarian library system that promoted literary primarily to propagandize the citizenry.... The Soviets consistently boasted of having an astronomically high number of books and libraries, but the the regime defined a "book" as anything more than a few pages and a "library" as any collection of more than 50 books.

American librarians often repeated such fantastical claims in what Karetzky terms "wonder stories" about Soviet libraries that periodically appeared in professional publications. Several of these authors actually believed that the USSR was on the road to utopia and clearly envied the power of Soviet librarians, conveniently overlooking the fact that they were functioning almost exclusively as propaganda agents....


Sounds familiar. Those who refuse to learn from history....

1 comment:

Felix said...

Trebor @ 9:49PM | 2004-02-24| permalink

I got bored one day, so I went to the Cairo International book fair. This must have been in February 1988 or so.

I browsed around a bit, people watched, and generally wondered what sort of food one might find at an International book fair.

I don't remember the food, though perhaps I logged it in my journal. I do remember that some of the big publishers or mid-sized countries (both having similar annual revenues) had rather large sales spaces (about 1/3 the size of a mall-based Walden Books). Mid sized countries and small publishers had about half-sized spaces, and small countries had small spaces (a wee bit bigger than a folding card table).

I was interested to note that North Korea had a mid-sized sales space, so I stopped in to take a look. Sure enough, the shelves were jammed with books – wall to wall, ceiling to floor. The books had nice dust covers, but I didn't actually get close enough to touch one. It was when I stepped forward to do so that I noticed that the entire store held only two (2) titles.

I suppose our bookish American brothers would have listed this as "large and well stocked." Me, I felt sick. The iron fist of totalitarianism always leaves me cold. ~ Trebor


email | website



Felix @ 11:05AM | 2004-02-25| permalink

Well, to be fair, so would some of the shopping-mall retailers and proponents of the "give-em-what-they-want" school of library collection development, both of which seem to think that a store/library stocked with a gazillion copies of The Latest Bestseller is the ideal.

email | website



Felix @ 11:06AM | 2004-02-25| permalink

...however, I agree with your basic point.

email | website



Trebor @ 5:53PM | 2004-02-25| permalink

There's a lot to be said for "give them what they want" - even if it only leaves open the dustbin for books worth reading. Eventually the English/Lit profs will get the message: "lighten up."

I like to read the classics. They're a lot of fun. I've got less than 100 pages to go in "War and Peace." I read "Moby Dick" one summer when I was 18 and renting space on someone's couch waiting for my induction date. I read "Canterbury Tales" while bicycling through Turkey (though I ended up using half of it for toilette paper when I got sick, but I read each page first). I read "No Exit" and a lot of other Sarte while dating a psycho bitch from hell. I read Poe whiling away my time in detention after school my seventh grade year (I also read most of Asimov, Bradbury, and Heinlein that way, too). I suppose I do OK for a guy with two business degrees.

If folks aren't buying the classics, blame the English/Lit professors. They could suck the fun out of a skydive in less time than it takes to pull a rip-cord. ~ Trebor


email | website