Tuesday, April 13, 2004

A brave new day dawns

... as I have just installed and started using the Mozilla Firefox internet browser on one of the two computers I use regularly. So far the only problem I've noted is that it doesn't seem to be compatible with one component of the virtual- or "chat" -reference software the library uses. That's fine with me, since I don't like the "co-browsing" or "URL-Pushing" feature anyway.

The main reason the Firefox browser sounded interesting was because of it's built-in popup-blocking characteristics. I'll see what I think in a few days.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Fiend @ 7:09PM | 2004-04-13| permalink

Mozilla is amazing. I've been using the application suite (browser and email client), and it's far more stable than IE. The browser blocks pop-ups like a charm (might initially require some minimal fine-tuning to "allow" pop-ups where required), and the "tabbed browsing" feature to open multiple pages in the same window makes it all worth it.

email | website

sc @ 2:28PM | 2004-04-14| permalink

Mozilla's great. In addition to the pop-up blocker, the mail client comes with a pretty decent spam filter. After about two weeks of training, it now detects and removes about 95% of my spam.

email | website

Yam @ 7:49PM | 2004-04-14| permalink

For those still using IE and/or Outlook, there are also some freeware applications that can help: Popup Blocker by Panicware, K9 (spam blocker) by Kier, and AVG Antivirus by AVG.

email | website

Trebor @ 1:40AM | 2004-04-15| permalink

Google has a nice toolbar and pop up blocker. I'm eagerly looking forward to their Gmail debut. I signed up for the beta, but didn't get in.

email | website