Thursday, April 08, 2004

Mother Earth News

While browsing the Waterboro Library Weblog (or "h20boro lib blog)" earlier today, I found that all the issues of this interesting magazine from the first issue in January/February 1970 to April/May 2003 are available online. Fascinating stuff. I could browse this archive for weeks, however contrary to the spirit of the magazine that might be.

Articles from the first few issues that caught my attention:

Twin Oaks (Issue #1) A description of one of the more successful experiments in consciously designed communal living. Co-founder Katherine Kinkaid has described Twin Oaks in more detail in her books, but it's useful to read a contemporary account of its early days written by soneone else. Although I personally might find it difficult to live under some of the policies of the Twin Oaks group, it's a fascinating project that still exists today because its founders were practical enough to (1) establish a workable internal economic system based on "labor credits", (2) establish a system of democratic and flexible but effective organization, and (3) use the existing external economy to support themselves by producing both physical and intellectual products that fit within their principles and were desired by the outside world. Of course, it helped that they didn't have to make mortgage payments on the farm!

Mississippi Canoe Trip (Issue #4) I've frequently thought about doing something similar, but I think I'll work up to the Mississippi by stages, rather than just taking off with no prior canoeing experience as this couple did. The Huron River seems to be well thawed out, and the weather's getting nicer....

The Compleat Gentleman Homesteads in the Bush (Issue #5). "[I]f a man doesn't have a set of standards by which to live, he is little better than a savage. As a matter of fact, Saturday in my wilderness home was always special. I planned a good dinner with wine accompanied by one of the more exciting classical records and the Toronto Scottish pipe band on the record player. After the meal — with dishes washed and wolf and falcon fed — I sat in front of the TV set, sipped cold beer (it had been in the river all day) and relaxed . . . in a suit. Just because one lives in the woods is no reason to go completely native."

Trebor and others of sound practical sense may well point out that survival, engineering or business-related advice from idealistic sources should be taken with a grain of salt, or at least confirmed through another source before betting one's life or well-being on its accuracy. For example, it seems that the wood fire-powered refrigerator described in issue #35 has some potential flaws, as pointed out by a rather alarming letter in issue #37. (Unfortunately, Allie Fox's subscription apparently ran out before he read the second letter.)

But what a source of ideas and daydreams.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Trebor @ 11:12AM | 2004-04-10| permalink

I think that experimentation is a lovely way to develop a better society. I do get frustrated when some people choose to repeat failed experiments out of ignorance. I don't mind so much if they hurt themselves, but failed (social) experiments often involve children.

I predict that "fools" will rapidly replace the more traditional butts of jokes. It's politically safer, and they bring it on themselves.

I lumb both groups of libertarians into that category (the libertarian group that thinks the'll get free or legal drugs, and the even odder group that thinks libertarianism could even work).

Mind you, this doesn't mean I don't *like* libertarians. I do. They amuse me, and for that I am most grateful. ~ Trebor

email | website