Sunday, November 05, 2006

RefGrunt for an hour.
2:00 Why is there a box of creamed corn on the library's doorstep? (Beats me.)
2:01. Where are the ___ school Accellerated Reader Lists? (On the shelf behind you.)
2:05. Audiobook of "Fathers of our Flags, or something". (You mean, Flags of Our Fathers?)
2:07 Newtype anime magazine is returned to desk.
2:10 "I sat down at the visitor terminal and didn't sign up and I typed up a paper and then it kicked me out and I need to print it out and what do I do now?"
2:13 "I've been waiting for an internet terminal and they're all full and the signup terminal shows that those computers are supposed to be available and there are still people using them."
2:14 Polk's Directory.
2:15 "Have you figured out what's going on with the creamed corn yet?"
2:20 Try to ask Circ. staff about creamed corn. They have a line stretching across the lobby and no time to take other questions. Leave message with shelver to ask them when they have more time.
2:25 "Where is the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature? I need articles on Pierre L'Enfant."
2:27 Internet pass.
2:28 Internet pass.
2:30 "I need to use a DVD player."
2:31 "No, I meant I need a computer with a DVD burner. That one or that one. (Points to two computers in use by other patrons.)"
2:33 Internet pass.
2:34 Internet pass.
2:35 "We need video biographies of Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Thomas Paine that are suitable for showing to a high school class."
2:40 Receive third-hand relayed message that I am supposed to know about library's food-donation drive. "It's on the library's web page." Upon further inquiry, circ. staff still have no knowledge of box of creamed corn. Go outside to collect creamed corn and place it in food-drive canister before it freezes and explodes.
2:45 "All the public terminals are full. I need to type my resume."
2:47 Patron using express internet terminal refuses to end cell phone call when repeatedly reminded to do so. Eventually gets off terminal and wanders toward lobby still yakking after I stand over his shoulder for several minutes.
2:50 "The computer you put me on crashed so I went to another computer and now it says the DVD burner program needs to be reinstalled." Computer techie person is amazingly in office.
2:55 Return phone call to patron who wants Dorothy Garlock's Wild Sweet Wilderness. Telephone number supplied connects to a business office which is closed.
2:57 Internet pass. Internet pass.
2:58 Check work e'mail and review supervisor's message criticizing me for not getting more collection development work done during my "non-busy time at the reference desk."

1 comment:

Felix said...

Carlos @ 10:41AM | 2006-11-06| permalink

It would take us a full day to receive that many reference requests.

I'm glad I have a hands-off boss.

email | website