Thursday, July 01, 2004

A disappointed library user

Requested this evening at Suburban Public Library: pictures of the effects of various sexually-transmitted diseases "like the ones I saw when I was training with the Navy". The grosser, the bigger, the more colorful, the better. He wants to show them to his teenage son, who for some reason seems embarrassed by this request. Querent seems disappointed by the library's selection of medical encyclopedias and the young-adult books on STD's, and asks why the library doesn't have such materials. I pass his suggestion on, without comment, to our young-adult librarian.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Mensch71 @ 8:52AM | 2004-07-02| permalink

This SO reminds of the medical texts my sister Girl Scouts and I used to pour over - we were fascinated by a condition called "elephantiasis". Especially when it afflicted the nether regions of a man. Imagine, if you will, a dozen giggly 12 year olds. Ah... memories!

email | website

Felix @ 11:39PM | 2004-07-02| permalink

Uh.... yuck. But kids have always been attracted to grossness, so I can easily imagine the scene.

Searching in WorldCat, I did find that Armed Forces "Sex Hygiene Scare Films" from World War II are apparently available on VHS, at least in a few libraries. Oh boy.

email | website