Monday, July 12, 2004

Sometimes I scare myself...

... and other times, the Bush Administration does it for me. Some time ago, I wrote a rather scathing post for this blog which I chose not to publish because the last line seemed too paranoid for even this venue of shiny-hatted speculation. That last line was as follows: "This administration is the only one that has ever made me wonder, not about the outcome of the next election, but whether there will be an election at all."

Well, well. From this morning's headlines: Officials discuss how to delay Election Day. (More coverage here, here, here, here. Newsweek, cited as a source by many of these articles, seems to be suddenly unavailable on the web -- perhaps due to many people trying to retrieve the story. Or perhaps not?)

The article I wrote back in May, and chose not to post at the time, follows. How the Bush administration manages to portray itself as "conservative", rather than as an aspiring banana-republic junta, is simply beyond my comprehension at this point.

No comments: