Saturday, May 22, 2004

Time keeps on tickin', tickin', tickin'....

As some of you may already know, Your Humble Correspondent is now working two different jobs in a desperate effort to stay above the ever-rising sea of credit card debt and ward off the menacing specter of two upcoming months of unemployment thanks to a certain university's policy of not keeping low-ranking library staff on the payroll all year. As a result, I haven't really had the time to devote as much attention as I should to writing about the things that I think about the most.

What, you thought off-the-cuff comments about television miniseries-in-production were the only thing on my mind while the Iraqi prison scandal and Diebold voting machines were making headlines 'round the world?

Don't know me very well, do you?

Unfortunately, those topics demand more focused thought than I've been able to muster while charging back and forth between two jobs. Although the following noirish quote from Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely deals with a different aspect of the truth-seeking business, it pretty well portrays my attitude toward life these days:
I needed a drink. I needed a lot of life insurance. I needed a vacation. I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.
Since I have tomorrow off, I'll try to use that time to get some of this stuff off my mind and into the ether instead.

No comments: