Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Don't get any ideas.

Libraries seem to be magnets for thieves. I've noticed a substantial number of items missing from the shelves of "Huron State U." since starting work here. These are usually items which are currently required textbooks or items which are predictably in high demand among student report-writers, but recently I found that two of the three volumes of an early edition of Whitehead and Russell's Principia Mathematica were inexplicably gone from the shelves. That's a three-digit book on the secondhand market, and it seems unlikely to me that its disappearance is entirely a coincidence, or that they were taken by a student who needed them for a class.

The University of Oregon, in this story, is just the most recent university library to find its property being auctioned off on eBay. Miles Harvey, in The Island of Lost Maps, described in painful detail how a mild-mannered thief with the preposterously appropriate name of Gilbert Bland managed to lift millions of dollars worth of rare and salable old maps from library atlases simply by using WorldCat to locate the libraries that owned them, pretending to be a "scholar" in order to get access to them, and then surreptitiously dismembering them with a razor blade. (Amazingly, several libraries could not even be bothered to return the FBI's telephone calls when Bland was finally caught with a Florida strip-mall store filled with stolen library property.) And of course it's common knowledge to anyone who closely followed the sordid career of Mark Hofmann's forgeries that he 'acquired' appropriately-aged paper for his forgeries by slicing endsheets out of old library books.

It's tempting to say that this means secondhand book buyers should be suspicious of ex-library books and all old maps in internet selling venues; however, I know from firsthand experience how often libraries blithely and ignorantly discard books that are in high demand on the secondhand market. Advocating that such ex-libs be shunned, or that libraries summarily destroy discarded materials in order to prevent confusion between legitimately acquired ex-lib books and stolen ones, would be an intolerable injury to those readers who are savvy enough to know what to look for and where to find the legitimate ones offered for sale. Even an injury to learning itself, if I might wax pompous for a moment.

It's likewise tempting to advocate closing the stacks entirely, but this is financially prohibitive for most institutions, and a serious barrier to usage of the library. However, I note that the one volume of the Whitehead/Russell book which is still in the possession of "Huron State" is the one that was inexplicably placed in non-public storage.

As always, I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps the library world needs to hire someone like this.

(Note: if anyone reads this an takes it as an inspiration to start stealing library books, be warned: If I find out about it, I will hunt you down and take them back.)

1 comment:

Felix said...

Trebor @ 11:26PM | 2004-03-23| permalink

There's something written about confession…

Anywho.

I've probably stolen a hundred or two books in my book-stealing career. I don't think I've actually stolen a book in quite a few years, but I'd have to think about it. I was strictly a thief for convenience.

It started when librarians promulgated rules I felt needn't apply to me. This would have been around the fifth grade. For example, I think I was limited to a maximum of four checked out books at a time. Given that I could finish a book during the course of a single day at school (at least I wasn't sleeping in class – that would come later), four seemed terribly constraining. What was I supposed to do on Sundays?

Naturally I returned these books when I finished them. Lacking imagination, I simply dumped them into the book return or leave them on a table. To me, libraries were a slob's paradise. Librarians actually *wanted* to put away my books. I suppose they were afraid I'd shelve them in the wrong place.

Indeed, the only time I'd shelve books myself was if I was returning an overdue book. Would this constitute stealing in reverse? Eventually, I'd get an overdue notice in the mail. I'd trot out the notice, beg innocence, and point out the already shelved book as proof that they'd simply failed to check in the book and therefore wasn't liable for the fine. Naturally, I paid fines on occasion just to maintain my credibility.

Once I started the sixth grade and had a locked locker to myself, I began stealing textbooks. It's not that I overly enjoyed reading these tomes of unskilled, uncreated, stultifying, dull, sanitized (etc) piles of concentrated guano, it's just that I loathed lugging them home (to ignore). I simply kept two sets – one set for home and the other for school. I'd only take a book home if a teacher forced me. More often than not, though, I had detention for mouthing off to a teacher (or for the consequences of mouthing off to a student bigger and/or stupider than me), and so I left school long after anyone could force me to carry books home. I simply carried an "organizer" stuffed with homework to ignore. I built my arm muscles instead by swimming and climbing. These pilfered books would mysteriously return at the end of each school year.

I was meticulous about my stealing. To this day I don't deny I stole, nor do I deny wrong doing. However, I do not have in my possession a single stolen book – not even the single "over due" book so many people seem to have tucked away and forgotten on a dusty shelf. You know what I'm talking about: that one book that gives so many the "librarian" nightmare, the nightmare that ends either with a huge fine or jail time in this life or a one way ticket to hell in the next.

Do I steal textbooks even now? No. I simply ask the publisher for a second free copy of whatever textbook I'm using during any given semester. Whatever else may have changed in my life, I still don't carry textbooks home and back. ~ Trebor

email | website

Trebor @ 1:20AM | 2004-03-24| permalink

On second reading, I think it's funnier with the errors included (not that that's saying a whole lot). ~ Trebor

email | website

Felix @ 11:16PM | 2004-03-24| permalink

Hmph. Well, at least you returned them.

I kept vol. 3 of Elfquest on, shall we say, "extended loan" from my high school library for a year or two, but eventually returned it.

"For all have sinned...."

email | website