Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Geek hobbies

It seems that this list of the top 10 geek hobbies is making its way around the Internet, so I might as well join the swarm of links.

I'm proud to say that only five of them apply to me. How glad I am that they didn't include model railroading. I'm not sure how one would assess its "damage to sex life" rating. "I'll be your steam engine, baby" might have a certain kind of sex appeal, but I doubt that very many women derive erotic thrills from talk of lost-wax castings, weathering with chalk and acrylic paint, or wireless DCC. Almost by definition, anything discussed on Slashdot can't be good.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Trebor @ 6:53AM | 2003-11-10| permalink

Wow! Just look at what isn't on the list...

Computer programming isn't harmful to one's sex life? Programming isn't Geeky?

It just goes to show: if you can make money at it, it ain't geeky. Good thing for Felix that library science doesn't count as a hobby.

~Trebor

email | website

Trebor @ 6:57AM | 2003-11-10| permalink

Blogging, on the other hand, will likely make the list in the next year or two.

You'll know it's going to hit the list when "commenting on other people's blogs" makes the top 10.

~Trebor

email | website